Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Revolutionary Movement of the Iranian people sparks New Wave of Art






Protests against presidential elections results, the display of protester photos, Neda Agha Soltan’s murder in the media and social networking sites such as Twitter, has inspired dozens of non Iranian artists to create art in remembrance of Iran’s green movement, killed protestors and the slogan “Where is my Vote”.

Francisco Pouroli, an Italian artist who for the first time has sketched a protest movement, talked to Radio Farda about what inspired him to create something related to the green movement: “I was home alone and drowned in Twitter when I received hundred tweets about Iran. That’s when this idea came t me. What is important about the green movement is that it was shaped directly within the young community, of women and internet users of Iran. Prior to the elections I was not familiar with Iran, but I feel that Iran is a place with incredible potential, but this potential can’t be used without freedom.”

American designer Timothy Rains, says “Since the moment they took to the streets, I’ve been influenced by the Iranian people. Because they knew that they were facing death and many problems. But I didn’t create anything until the death of Neda Agha Soltan. I had previously sketched many hearts and I added Red as a symbol of the pain and suffering of Neda to one of my works. I hope to travel to Iran one day and I believe that if the US pays the same attention they pay to Israel to other countries in the Middle East, many things can be done”.This American artist, drawing for the first time for a civil protest movement, calls the peacefulness of the green movement “extraordinary”.
James Young, a resident of New York who has received 200 awards for his works said: “I’ve been following Iran’s events since the Shah’s regime was overthrown. Iran is a mysterious land, because we really don’t know what happens in this country. I must add that American people felt the same way about Russia during Soviet Russia. I have always thought Iranian people are educated because their history”.
Zina Saunders, another New York artist says since she saw a report about the Iranian protests on TV, she has begun drawing, “Prior to this I thought the people of Iran agree with the government of the country”.

No comments:

 
[Valid RSS]